Do you love anything and everything related to mermaids? Are you constantly asking yourself “where can I get a free printable for a mermaid tail?”
Well, look no further because I have 5 free Mermaid Tail Templates that are perfect for your next craft or art project!
What’s even more magical is how these templates are completely customizable. You’ll never need another template again!
Use a mermaid tail template to create anything from wall art, cards, paper crafts, and even kids crafts.
Print out your mermaid tail template on card stock paper at home (or take it into a print shop) then cut them out with scissors. Happy Crafting!
*This page may contain affiliate links to products I have used or recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.**
Why are printable templates cool?
Printable templates are great tools for adults and children alike. They can be printed on any printer, cut out at will, or transferred onto watercolor paper to serve as an outline for a painting.
I have included 5 different printable mermaid tail templates saved in PDF format in A4 size – so they should be easy to print.
This means that you don’t have to mess with your printer settings. Quickly set the size you need!
If you want to print out a mermaid tail template on a larger A3 sheet then make sure to ‘set to size’ on your printer settings.
Why are mermaids so awesome?
Mermaids have been around in human imagination for centuries. From various art forms to TV shows, mermaids are all around us. Who doesn’t want to be a mermaid?
In myths and legends, mermaids are often depicted as sirens: creatures that lure sailors with their beautiful and enchanting music.
In modern folklore, mermaids are often depicted as purely good creatures that help people going fishing or who save drowning sailors from the stormy sea. (More about Merfolk)
In today’s society, mermaids show up in almost every possible area of human creativity – from clothing to technology and even in jewelry!
Add some seaside magic to your crafting project with these mermaid tail templates!
5 FREE Mermaid Tail Templates!
Single Detailed Mermaid Tale Template
A single large detailed mermaid tail – perfect for stenciling onto canvas, paper, glass, or any other surface.
Transfer this image onto your surface and color it using color pencils, watercolor, or markers.
This elegant mermaid tail is great for invitations, book covers, art journaling, and more.
Single Mermaid Tail Template with Seaweed, a Shell, and Bubbles.
This mermaid tail template includes a few bubbles, some seaweed flowing in the currents, and a shell.
Mermaid Tail Stencil
If you would like to stencil a mermaid tail, then this is a simple, but effective mermaid tail stencil design.
You can print it on mylar and cut it out. Color the design using spray paint, watercolor, or markers.
Have a look at my detailed stenciling instructions below!
Large Mermaid Tail Template Outline
This large mermaid tail template provides you will a simple outline of a mermaid’s tail to use for your artwork or creative projects.
Print this on colorful cardstock, cut out with scissors, hole punch, and hang around your patio or garden with string for some magical seaside decor!
Two Medium Mermaid Tail Template Outlines
A set of 2 medium mermaid tail templates perfect for crafts or as a school assignment.
These are also ideal for placeholders and gift tags!
Download and print out your favorite mermaid tail template below!
What can you do with your mermaid tail template?
All of these printable mermaid tail templates can be used in your art journal, creative journal, junk journal, bullet journal (I love them all!).
Use them for crafting, school projects, décor, posters, bulletin boards, invitations, wedding stationery), birthday cards… and really anything your mind can conceive of!
Watercolor Brush Pen Mermaid Tail!
This is a fun and easy brush pen project that is great for both children and adults!
Watercolor brush pens are awesome for creating a watercolor effect for art and craft projects.
To help you out, I have put together these printable templates so that all you have to do is transfer the shape onto your watercolor paper and get on with the painting.
If you would like to try this out, you should transfer the mermaid tail template to watercolor paper. This is how…
How to Transfer the Mermaid Tail Template to Watercolor Paper (Method One)
- Print out your mermaid tail template on standard printer paper.
- Tape your printed template to a window with light behind it so that you can see the outline of the pineapple coming through.
- Using a soft lead pencil (2B, 4B, 6B, or 8B), trace over the printed outline of the mermaid tail so that you can see through the paper. Do this quite firmly so that you have left enough lead on the surface to be transferred easily onto the watercolor paper.
- Place your printed mermaid tail template with the traced pencil outline face-down on your watercolor paper.
- Using your pencil once again, trace the printed mermaid tail outline so that the pencil line gets transferred to your watercolor paper.
- Voila! You have your transferred shape, and you don’t need to hand-draw it yourself!
- Now you can use your watercolor or watercolor brush pens and start your painting!
How to Transfer the Mermaid Tail Template to Watercolor Paper (Method Two)
Here are some quick steps to get your mermaid tail template ready to use.
- Open your Mermaid Tail Stencil PDF and select print.
- Choose the size you want to print to.
- Print the stencil onto a mylar transparency sheet. (Alternatively, you can print the pineapple stencil onto a standard piece of paper and then trace it onto a piece of plastic mylar after)
- On a cutting mat, use a craft knife to carefully cut out the shapes of your pineapple.
- Your stencil is now ready to use.
How to Create Watercolor Stencil Art
- Place your mermaid tail stencil on watercolor paper.
- Tape down your sheet of watercolor paper using artist masking tape.
- If you want to, you can start your watercolor painting by first applying a light wash of color before you begin with your top layer. This can create a lovely layered effect!
- Spray the back of your mermaid tail stencil using spray adhesive and stick it on your watercolor paper.
- Start applying washes of watercolor over the paper and the stencil. You will find that to paint into the crevices, and small spaces of the stencil you need to manipulate your paintbrush. It is important that the watercolor paint doesn’t bleed underneath the stencil, so always work with a light touch.
- Allow the paint to dry fully before removing the stencil.
- Use warm water and soap to gently wash the stencil (if using a plastic watercolor stencil) so that it can be reused and is ready for the next time!
Other Ways to Use your Printable Mermaid Tail Template
Summer party and pool party decor!
Decorate your patio, lounge, kitchen, or any other room in your house or office with some magical mermaid art!
Cut out the template and paint over it onto cardstock or watercolor paper, using watercolor, watercolor brush pens, or even spray paint.
Print out the mermaid tail template on bright-colored cardstock or paper, cut out the design and create your own mermaid tail chain to decorate walls or doorways.
Use the mermaid tail templates to create a nautical theme in your art journal.
You can also use them to create, backgrounds, patterns, or focus areas in your art journal.
Color your mermaid tail template with markers or watercolor to create a colorful and joyful invitation for a Magical Mermaid party.
If you like to color in, you can use the mermaid tail template as a fun way to add color and creativity to your doodling.
Stick them on walls or gift wrap for added decoration!
Use the mermaid tail template on clothing or fabric.
You can go ahead and print these mermaid tail templates directly onto clothing or fabric – create your own magical shirt!
If you have printed them onto the fabric then cut out the images and sew them onto t-shirts, hats, or bags for some cute themed accessories!
Or use fabric paint over the mermaid tail stencil to create your own homemade apron, table cloth, or bag!
Create your own mermaid tail stickers by printing the templates on sticker paper and cutting out the shapes.
You can then use these stickers for anything you like!
Use them as a fun way to label party favors, package up treats in gift bags or boxes, make place cards for your dinner table at any celebration… the possibilities are endless with these printable templates!
Use them for decorating.
Print your mermaid tail templates out on the back of the cardstock and use these as decorations for your summer party, or any celebration you like!
Print them on normal paper and cut them out for décor, embellishments, and other crafty projects!
If you prefer to add a bit of color, then print them onto colorful cardstock instead.
Print them on different paper.
Try printing them on texture paper or even tracing paper. You can really get some great effects!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and feel inspired!
Let me know which mermaid tail template you used and which was your favorite!
And if you’re looking for more creative inspiration and art projects to try at home or with your kids, be sure to subscribe so I can keep sending great content straight to your inbox!
Here are some other templates that you might like!
Happy art-making everyone!